Recipe serves: 8
Eggplant & Cheese Timbale
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 Tbsp. Bertolli® Classico™ Olive Oil
- 1 lb. sweet and/or Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lb. penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 jar Bertolli® Organic Olive Oil, Basil & Garlic Sauce
- 1 lb. mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups pecorino romano cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly salt eggplant and drain in colander, if desired, about 30 minutes.
- Rinse eggplant, then drain on paper towels; pat to dry. Brush eggplant with Olive Oil, then arrange on baking sheet. Bake, turning once, 30 minutes or until golden; set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage with garlic in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until sausage is done.
- Brush bottom and sides of 10-inch springform pan with additional Olive Oil, then line with eggplant.
- Combine hot penne, sausage, Sauce, mozzarella cheese and 1/2 of the pecorino cheese in large bowl. Turn into springform pan and press down firmly.
- Bake 40 minutes. Cool 15 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Top with remaining pecorino cheese.