Recipe serves: 4
Fried Calamari Crostini
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 6 cloves garlic
- 5 Tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 2 ounces anchovy fillets in oil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. Bertolli® Classico™ Olive Oil
- 1 cup Bertolli® Vineyard Premium Collections Marinara with Burgundy Wine Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen calamari, cut into rings
- 1/2 small loaf ciabatta bread, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, toasted
- Heat vegetable oil in 3-quart heavy bottom saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, combine bread crumbs, flour, cayenne peppers, parsley, salt and lemon peel in medium bowl; set aside.
- Process garlic, rosemary, anchovys, lemon juice and olive oil in blender or food processor until smooth; set aside.
- Heat Sauce with cream in 2-quart saucepot over low heat.
- Dip calamari in buttermilk, then bread crumb mixture. Fry calamari, in batches in hot oil, 2 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Evenly spread anchovy mixture on toast. Top with fried calamari, then drizzle with sauce mixture. Serve with remaining sauce mixture.