Recipe serves: 6
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||110 Minutes|
|Serving Size 1 serving|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories from Fat||21|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Total Carbs||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
A classic Milanese Italian dish featuring veal shanks braised to tender perfection.
- 6 (1- to 1-1/2-in. ea.) veal shanks (about 4 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Bertolli® Classico™ Olive Oil
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, or red wine or water
- 1 jar Bertolli® Vineyard Premium Collections Marinara with Burgundy Wine Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Tie each veal shank to bone with kitchen twine. Combine flour, salt and pepper in shallow dish. Dip veal in flour mixture, turning to coat.
- Heat Olive Oil in large deep heavy-duty skillet or Dutch oven and brown veal; remove veal from skillet and set aside.
- Cook carrot, onion and celery in same skillet, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in wine and cook 2 minutes. Stir in Sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat.
- Arrange veal in 13 x 9-inch heavy roasting pan. Pour sauce mixture over veal. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 hour 30 minutes or until veal is tender. To serve, remove twine from veal. Combine parsley with lemon in small bowl. Serve, if desired, over hot cooked mashed potatoes or polenta with Sauce. Sprinkle with parsley mixture.