Recipe serves: 4
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Marinate for||30 Minutes|
|Cook Time||45 Minutes|
Grilled Marinated Skirt Steak With Fabio's Grandma's Polenta
by Chef Fabio Viviani
- 1-1/2 lbs. skirt steak, cut into 4 (6-oz. pieces)
- 6 Tbsp. Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 1/2 bunch fresh rosemary
- 4 to 5 large cloves garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup medium-grain yellow polenta
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (4 oz.) cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary or thyme
- Trim fat from skirt steak, leaving a little for flavor. Place in baking dish and drizzle with 2 tablespoons Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Finely chop sage, thyme, and rosemary and 2 cloves garlic. Add to steak and marinate 10 minutes.
- For polenta, heat 2 tablespoons Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 2 to 3 cloves chopped garlic in skillet until golden brown. Add heavy cream and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper; let reduce. Add water. Add polenta, stirring as you add. As it thickens, whisk in Parmesan and cream cheese. Continue stirring 5 to 10 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Pour finished polenta on a platter or clean cutting board and top with additional Parmesan cheese if desired, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Season steaks with salt and fresh ground black pepper and place in hot 12-inch skillet over high heat. Cook steak to desired doneness.
- Plate steak and arrange polenta on edge of meat. Garnish with sprig of fresh rosemary or thyme and top with fresh ground black pepper.
- Recipe courtesy of Fabio Viviani, owner and Executive Chef of Cafe Firenze in Moorpark, California and Frienze Osteria Italian Restaurant and Martini Bar in Toluca Lake, California.